Welcome to Tier 3, Here’s Your Anti-Healing Debuff

(Updated to add a couple of extra abilities that people reminded me of in comments, thanks all!)

Anyone who has played WoW will know the power of the healing debuff. Available originally to only one class in that game, that ability alone would have made Arms Warriors essential in any competitive PvP group. Healing can be very powerful in PvP, so any ability that can reduce it can potentially be a battle winner.

A lot of classes have heal reduction debuffs available to them in Warhammer, either as baseline abilities or in one of the talent trees. Some of these will come into play in Tier 3, and it will change the way PvP plays. For one thing, healer survivability drastically reduces — unless they remember to cleanse the debuff. If you are a debuffer, try to target the classes that can’t remove the debuff on themselves.

So which classes do get heal debuffs? I’ve listed them here. I also listed all the classes who can remove debuffs. Its very hard to spot debuffs on the UI at the moment, hopefully some addon writers will help us out with that.

It looks biased towards Destruction who have two classes who can put out a 75% heal reduction, a tank with a passive heal reduction aura, and the ‘heal debuff on crit’ ability put into the dps line of a melee healer (as opposed to Order who have it on a Runepriest — they won’t be gearing to crit or critting anything near as often and many of them never even cast dps spells in RvR). But most of the Order classes with heal debuffs can apply them at range, whereas in Destruction it has gone to melee classes.

I do think Runepriests (and Order in general) got stitched by having a dps heal debuffing tactic on the class least likely to be dpsing.

Order Heal Debuffers

Archmage – Scatter the Winds (Hex Ability, requires 5 points in Vaul tree). 50% heal reduction. 10s cooldown, lasts 9s.

Bright Wizard – Playing with Fire (Hex Ability, requires 5 points in Immolation tree). 50% heal reduction. 30s cooldown, lasts 10s.

Rune Priest – Rune of Nullification (career tactic, requires 11 points in Grungni tree). 100% heal reduction, lasts 5s, requires a crit.

Shadow Warrior – Shadow Sting (Ailment Ability, requires 5 points in Skirmish tree). 50% heal reduction. No cooldown, lasts 9s, target must be Ailing.

Warrior Priest – Absence of Faith (Curse Ability, requires 9 points in Wrath tree). 25% heal reduction. 20s cooldown, lasts 10s. (thanks Brian!)

White Lion – Thin the Herd (Curse Ability, requires 13 points in Axeman Tree). 50% heal reduction. 10s cooldown. Lasts 10s.

Witch Hunter – Punish the False (Ailment Ability, requires 11 points in Inquisition tree). 50% heal reduction. 10s cooldown, lasts 10s.

Destruction

Chosen – Discordant Turbulance (Chaotic Aura, requires 5 points in Path of Discord tree). 30% heal reduction. Persists while aura is selected, remains for 12s after it is dropped.

Disciple of Khaine – Curse of Khaine (career tactic, requires 11 points in Torture tree). 100% heal reduction, lasts 5s, requires a crit.

Marauder – Tainted Claw (Ailment Ability baseline, has a tactic to improve heal reduction to 75% at 11 points in Savagery tree), 25% heal reduction (75% with tactic). 5s cooldown, lasts 5s (10 if target is crippled)

Squig Herder – Rotten Arrer (Ailment Ability, requires 11 points in Quick Shootin’ tree). 50% heal reduction. No cooldown, lasts 9s, target must be Ailing.

Witch Elf – Black Lotus Blade (Ailment Ability, requires 9 points in Path of Suffering). 50% heal reduction. 10s cooldown, lasts 10s.

Witch Elf #2 – Healer’s Bane (career tactic, requires 11 points in Path of Suffering). All path of suffering attacks have a 25% chance to reduce healing by 75% for 10s.

Zealot – Windblock (Rank 4 Morale Ability, requires 15 points in Dark Rite tree). Affects all targets within 30′. 50% heal reduction. 60s cooldown. (thanks Zealbot!)

So who can remove debuffs?

Archmage – can remove hexes and ailments

Runepriest – can remove curses and ailments

Warrior Priest – can remove curses and hexes

Disciple of Khaine – can remove ailments and hexes

Shaman – can remove curses and ailments

Zealot – can remove curses and hexes

Advertisements

8 Responses

  1. Some handy info there, Spinks. Good to see WH get 2 debuffs with only leather armour 1v1 PvP can be a little hairy!

  2. Great summary, and curse those damn Witch Elves! They may as well give them a ‘Kill Archmage’ button.

    Hopefully someone will create an addon that lights up a group member’s whole vitals when they’ve got a curable debuff on them.

  3. The archmage can heal the witch elf’s heal reduction (but the appropriately named “healer’s bane” has no recast so it’s just a case of proccing it again). Witch hunters look scary to my little shaman in tier 3 …

    One thing I’ve noticed though – unless the ones that aren’t listed are hexes there’s a better spread for order – hexes, ailments and curses – while destruction’s all seem to be ailments (bad news for warrior priests but good news for the other two ;)). Course this depends on what the chosen’s aura and the two tactic based ones are.

  4. I believe that a WP can go down the path of Wrath and pick up a mediocre 25% healing debuff.

  5. A zealot spec’d into Dark Rites can do an AOE healing debuff, windblock.

    Not quite in the same category, but a witchcraft Zealot can do mirror of madness, which penalizes healers for healing. The mirror is a hex. I don’t believe the windblock is dispellable.

  6. Quick note:
    There is a difference between the healing debuffs, one type will reduce the effectiveness of the heals that you cast yourself, the others reduce the ones you receive.

    At least thats how i understood it. Best examples would be, since the tool tip is much clearer compared to other such abilities, Witch Elf’s “Black Lotus Blade” (heals receive debuff) and the Witch Elf’s “Kiss of Death” (heals casting debuff). You also might want to add Kiss of Death to your list 🙂

    And i love your blog ^^

  7. Also a Bright Wizard can remove Hex, Curse and Ailment from himself with “Cauterize” according to Wardb.

  8. Gava, good point. Just I’m trying to compare like with like to start with. There are also a couple of classes who can increase healing done to a target.

    But I am expecting to spend much more of my time cleansing on my Archmage in Tier 3.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: